GNU is looking for Google Summer of Code Projects

r-

GNU is looking for Google Summer of Code Projects

r-
In another list I see that GNU has been accepted for Summer of Code and is looking for projects.

[If this is not appropriate here, let me know. I couldn't find a general make developers list.]

My suggesion regarding GNU Make has to do with getting some of the goodness in the GNU Make fork remake back into GNU Make.  But enough about me. What is most in need of help in GNU Make that a summer student might reasonably make progress on?

Discuss the ideas here and contact me offline and I'll forward the GNU contacts. (Or you probably can look them up for yourself if so inclined. I am not a coordinator, I am just a backup mentor).

Re: GNU is looking for Google Summer of Code Projects

Paul Smith-20
On Thu, 2020-03-19 at 11:16 -0400, Rocky Bernstein wrote:

> In another list I see that GNU has been accepted for Summer of Code
> and is looking for projects.
>
> [If this is not appropriate here, let me know. I couldn't find a
> general make developers list.]
>
> My suggesion regarding GNU Make has to do with getting some of the
> goodness in the GNU Make fork remake back into GNU Make.  But enough
> about me. What is most in need of help in GNU Make that a summer
> student might reasonably make progress on?
>
> Discuss the ideas here and contact me offline and I'll forward the
> GNU contacts. (Or you probably can look them up for yourself if so
> inclined. I am not a coordinator, I am just a backup mentor).

This is the right place to discuss this, I think.

There are probably various things that could be usefully done for GNU
make.  However, there's one big issue: there is no way I can mentor
anyone for GSoC.

In fact, we had a GSoC project a long time ago, in one of the first
years it was available.  I was optimistic that I could spend the needed
time but even back then I was an abject failure at it and things have
certainly not gotten any better since.

Proper mentoring requires significant time and resources, and I don't
have either of those in abundance unfortunately.

r-

Re: GNU is looking for Google Summer of Code Projects

r-
Ok. I totally understand. I thought it worth a shot.