GNU make 3.81beta3 released

Paul Smith-20

Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

Earnie
On 4:11:19 am 2005-06-28 [hidden email] wrote:

> I would like to concentrate on real bugs and compile errors, and not
> worry about compile warnings unless they're actually causing problems.
> I will spend some time on code cleanups in the next release.

signame.c (strsignal), HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST=0

The function doesn't declare sys_siglist[].

Earnie

On 10:35:55 am 2005-06-28 "Earnie Boyd" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4:11:19 am 2005-06-28 [hidden email] wrote:
>

> >  I would like to concentrate on real bugs and compile errors, and
> >  not worry about compile warnings unless they're actually causing
> >  problems. I will spend some time on code cleanups in the next
> > release.
>
> signame.c (strsignal), HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST=0
>
> The function doesn't declare sys_siglist[].

Actually it is line 30 that is buggy.

- #if !defined(HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST)
+ #if ! HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST

Earnie

On 10:49:44 am 2005-06-28 "Earnie Boyd" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10:35:55 am 2005-06-28 "Earnie Boyd" <[hidden email]>
>  wrote:
> >  On 4:11:19 am 2005-06-28 [hidden email] wrote:
> >

> > >   I would like to concentrate on real bugs and compile errors, and
> > >   not worry about compile warnings unless they're actually causing
> > >   problems. I will spend some time on code cleanups in the next
> > >  release.
> >
> >  signame.c (strsignal), HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST=0
> >
> >  The function doesn't declare sys_siglist[].
> >

> Actually it is line 30 that is buggy.
>
> - #if !defined(HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST)
> + #if ! HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST

Ok so we fix signame.c and now it builds.  On to ``make check''.

C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld/make  check-local
make[2]: Entering directory `C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld'
ln: `tests': cannot overwrite directory
ln: `tests': cannot overwrite directory
ln: `tests': cannot overwrite directory
ln: `tests': cannot overwrite directory
cd tests && perl ./run_make_tests.pl -make ../make.exe
Can't open perl script "./run_make_tests.pl": No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [check-regression] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld'
ake[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
ake[1]: Leaving directory `C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld'
ake: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

The problem is that MinGW/MSYS doesn't contain a real ln.  The MSYS ln
executable acts more like a ``copy source destination'' and source must
exist.  The reasoning for that is the native MSVCRT runtime dependent
binaries don't understand symlink at all.  Executing ``make check'' a
second time will result in a error of:

C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld/make  check-local
make[2]: Entering directory `C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld'
rm: `srctests' is a directory
ln: `srctests': cannot overwrite directory
cd tests && perl ./run_make_tests.pl -make ../make.exe
Can't open perl script "./run_make_tests.pl": No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [check-regression] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld'
ake[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
ake[1]: Leaving directory `C:/opt/MinGW/src/make-3.81beta3/bld'
ake: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

The reason is that srctests was copied from the source directory and the
assumption is that you need to delete the symlink but rm will not delete a
directory without the -r switch.

Earnie

Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

Dmitry V. Levin

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:11:19AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> I've released GNU make 3.81beta3.  Many bugs have been fixed and some
> new features added.  My main immediate goal is to get everyone to test
> all the ports, and especially work out what to do about the various
> DOS/Windows/MINGW/OS2/MSC/etc. ports.  There are some bug fixes in this
> release which need to be carefully tested on these ports, and to a
> lesser extent on the VMS ports.  For example, bug #1332 has been fixed,
> implementing rigorous POSIX-compliant handling of backslash-newline
> pairs in command scripts.  I don't know how this will affect the
> DOS/Windows/etc. ports.

There is a real issue which should be dealed with before release:
"gcc -M -MF" doesn't aware of new make behaviour (second expansion) and
sometimes (e.g. for libjava files which contain $ symbols) produces
inappropriate dependencies.  The problem is that gcc should support make
without second expansion.

See also https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=12260

--
ldv

Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

Paul Smith-20
%% "Dmitry V. Levin" <[hidden email]> writes:

  dvl> There is a real issue which should be dealed with before release:
  dvl> "gcc -M -MF" doesn't aware of new make behaviour (second expansion) and
  dvl> sometimes (e.g. for libjava files which contain $ symbols) produces
  dvl> inappropriate dependencies.  The problem is that gcc should support make
  dvl> without second expansion.

  dvl> See also https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=12260

I understand your concern, but I don't know that we can wait for
GCC/autoconf/automake to have new releases with this support before we
release 3.81.  It's possible there will be such releases, but I don't
want to predicate the 3.81 release on it.

This is a hard problem, because any change that these tools make to
support this new feature will automatically force the resulting output
to be GNU make-specific: it will no longer work with any other version
of make.  I don't know if that's acceptable to them (or maybe that's how
it works already?)

I did post a question on the auto* mailing lists back in March when you
brought this up, discussing the new feature and the implications for
these tools, but I received no response from anyone so I don't know what
to make of that.