How to disable Guile?

Jeffrey Walton-3
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to build Make 4.2.1 from the release tarball on an antique
system. I've tried configuring with without a guile option,
--without-guile and --disable-guile. In each case the tail of
configure results in:

checking for working strcoll... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking whether closedir returns void... no
./configure: line 9660: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
./configure: line 9672: syntax error near unexpected token `GUILE,'
./configure: line 9672: `   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GUILE, guile-2.0,
have_guile=yes,'make: *** [config.status] Error 2
Failed to build Make

Guile is one of those programs that is a constant source of trouble.
It often has difficulty building. If it does build, then other
packages can't seem to compile and link against it unless the version
numbers are an exact match. In fact, configure would probably fail if
Guile was present because I build Guile 2.2 from sources (I think this
is an Autotools problem). All in all, I prefer to avoid Guile
completely.

Is it possible to disable Guile support? If so, then how?

Re: How to disable Guile?

dimpase

> On 18 Jul 2019, at 01:55, Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to build Make 4.2.1 from the release tarball on an antique
> system. I've tried configuring with without a guile option,
> --without-guile and --disable-guile. In each case the tail of
> configure results in:
>
> checking for working strcoll... yes
> checking for working alloca.h... yes
> checking for alloca... yes
> checking whether closedir returns void... no
> ./configure: line 9660: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
> ./configure: line 9672: syntax error near unexpected token `GUILE,'
> ./configure: line 9672: `   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GUILE, guile-2.0,
> have_guile=yes,'make: *** [config.status] Error 2
> Failed to build Make

this error indicates that you need to install pkg-config.

Then configure should succeed.

HTH
Dima

> Guile is one of those programs that is a constant source of trouble.
> It often has difficulty building. If it does build, then other
> packages can't seem to compile and link against it unless the version
> numbers are an exact match. In fact, configure would probably fail if
> Guile was present because I build Guile 2.2 from sources (I think this
> is an Autotools problem). All in all, I prefer to avoid Guile
> completely.
>
> Is it possible to disable Guile support? If so, then how?

RE: How to disable Guile?

Jannick
Hi Jeffrey,

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 20:55:48 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I'm trying to build Make 4.2.1 from the release tarball on an antique system.
> I've tried configuring with without a guile option, --without-guile and --
> disable-guile. In each case the tail of configure results in:

> ./configure: line 9660: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found

> Is it possible to disable Guile support? If so, then how?

Try ./configure with_guile=no

Best,
J.

Re: How to disable Guile?

On Wed, 2019-07-17 at 20:55 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> checking whether closedir returns void... no
> ./configure: line 9660: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
> ./configure: line 9672: syntax error near unexpected token `GUILE,'
> ./configure: line 9672: `   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GUILE, guile-2.0,
> have_guile=yes,'make: *** [config.status] Error 2

The only way this error can happen as far as I can tell, is if your
configure script was rebuilt (autoconf was re-run to recreate it) and
you don't have pkg-config installed so those autoconf macros were not
expanded.

The configure script that is shipped with the release tarball will not
have this issue.

If you DO need to re-run autoconf for some reason you'll definitely
need to have pkg-config installed, and probably a bunch of other
autotools with pretty modern versions.  I would try to avoid it if your
goal is to build on old systems.

Re: How to disable Guile?

Andreas Schwab
On Jul 20 2019, Paul Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-07-17 at 20:55 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> checking whether closedir returns void... no
>> ./configure: line 9660: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
>> ./configure: line 9672: syntax error near unexpected token `GUILE,'
>> ./configure: line 9672: `   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GUILE, guile-2.0,
>> have_guile=yes,'make: *** [config.status] Error 2
>
> The only way this error can happen as far as I can tell, is if your
> configure script was rebuilt (autoconf was re-run to recreate it) and
> you don't have pkg-config installed so those autoconf macros were not
> expanded.

Most likely that happend because of messed-up time stamps.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7