I want to port make on Windows using tcc compiler

I want to port make on Windows using tcc compiler

Christian Jullien
Hi make maintainers,

First, many thanks for your time maintaining and polishing this tool.

On my side, I modestly contribute to tcc (TinyC) compiler which is an
ultra-fast C compiler (see https://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git).

Among others, I ensure that it allows to build a standalone native compiler
version on Windows both 32/64.

To provide a complete working C toolchain, it lacks a 'make' utility as with
other unix like systems.

I can of course compile make on Windows with cl or MingW but it is
intellectually more interesting to build make with tcc.

For that I just added tcc support in build_w32.bat and also added
src/config.h.TCC which can probably be merged in config.h.W32

It then make works ROOTB from make 4.3 (no changes in source code) using:

build_w32.bat tcc

I hope it interests you and you'll add this support in official repository.
I'm of course candidate to maintain this part.

Tia

C. Jullien

tcc-patch-for-4.3.tar.gz (10K) Download Attachment

RE: *** SPAM *** [Tinycc-devel] I want to port make on Windows using tcc compiler

Christian Jullien
The latest files are there:
<https://sourceforge.net/p/wintcc/svn/HEAD/tree/>
https://sourceforge.net/p/wintcc/svn/HEAD/tree/

Now, only the modified build_w32.bat and src/config.h.W32 are needed.

The both should still work with cl and gcc.

C.

C. Jullien

Re: *** SPAM *** [Tinycc-devel] I want to port make on Windows using tcc compiler

Eli Zaretskii
> From: "Christian Jullien" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 17:08:32 +0100
>
> The latest files are there:
> <https://sourceforge.net/p/wintcc/svn/HEAD/tree/>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/wintcc/svn/HEAD/tree/
>
> Now, only the modified build_w32.bat and src/config.h.W32 are needed.

config.h.W32 is a generated file, the original is in
src/config.h.W32.template.  And it's better to send patches instead of
the whole files.

Btw, the right place to discuss this is on [hidden email], not here.

Re: I want to port make on Windows using tcc compiler

Kaz Kylheku (gmake)
On 2020-01-22 05:38, Christian Jullien wrote:
> To provide a complete working C toolchain, it lacks a 'make' utility as
> with
> other unix like systems.

Don't forget that make recipes are written in shell (by default; there
is a SHELL variable).

So if you compile make successfully, but haven't provided a shell, you
still can't process the usual shell-based makefiles.

[Not sure it's such a great idea to cross-post between tinycc-devel and
help-make, but I'm preserving the Cc: line.]