Installation problem

Torsten Bohlin
I want to install a C-compiler on a new PC with Mandrakelinux10.1, and for that purpose downloaded and unpacked gcc-g++-4.0.0.tar.gz2 and make-3.8.0.tar.gz.
When I tried to use configure in the unpacked directory make-3.8.0/ I got
"Configure error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"
So, how do I get a C compiler installed, if I do not already have one?

Torsten Bohlin

Re: Installation problem

Paul Smith-20
%% "Torsten Bohlin" <[hidden email]> writes:

  tb> I want to install a C-compiler on a new PC with Mandrakelinux10.1, and for that purpose downloaded and unpacked gcc-g++-4.0.0.tar.gz2 and make-3.8.0.tar.gz.
  tb> When I tried to use configure in the unpacked directory make-3.8.0/ I got
  tb> "Configure error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

You can't compile make without a C compiler.  Heck, you can't compile
the C compiler without a C compiler!!  It's not written in assembly you
know... and if it were, how would you compiler the assembler??

Basically, you have to go get an already-built binary package for the
compiler and install that; every Linux distribution under the sun has
these so there's no need to build it yourself.