Linux kernel 2.6.26, make 4.1, menuconfig: no rule

Linux kernel 2.6.26, make 4.1, menuconfig: no rule

Brenton Chapin
Tried to configure Linux kernel 2.6.26 on Lubuntu 18.04 with make 4.1 and gcc 7.3.
"make menuconfig" gives "No rule to make target menuconfig".

With make 3.8 (Lubuntu 12.10), menuconfig works.
With kernel 2.6.32 and make 4.1, menuconfig works.

Re: Linux kernel 2.6.26, make 4.1, menuconfig: no rule

Edward Welbourne-3
 Brenton Chapin (7 June 2018 18:30) wrote
> Tried to configure Linux kernel 2.6.26 on Lubuntu 18.04 with make 4.1 and gcc 7.3.
> "make menuconfig" gives "No rule to make target menuconfig".
>
> With make 3.8 (Lubuntu 12.10), menuconfig works.
> With kernel 2.6.32 and make 4.1, menuconfig works.

You'll need to study the makefile in question to see why it fails; this
just looks like a bug in the makefile (that got away with working "by
mistake" before but no longer does).  Or supply the makefile(s) and
maybe someone on this list shall have the patience to work out what's
wrong.  It might be a bug but, without the specifics of what's supposed
to define the menuconfig rule, there's not much folk on this list can do
for you,

        Eddy.

On Thu, 2018-06-07 at 11:30 -0500, Brenton Chapin wrote:
> Tried to configure Linux kernel 2.6.26 on Lubuntu 18.04 with make 4.1
> and gcc 7.3.
> "make menuconfig" gives "No rule to make target menuconfig".
>
> With make 3.8 (Lubuntu 12.10), menuconfig works.

There is no make version "3.8".  I assume you mean "3.80".

> With kernel 2.6.32 and make 4.1, menuconfig works.

I can't explain this, given this description.  Probably someone
familiar with Linux kernel makefiles might be able to help.

Otherwise I recommend you run "make -d" in both the working and not
working situations and walk through the output (it will be massive) to
try to determine what causes the difference in behavior.

Or, you can use "diff" to compare the Makefiles themselves and see if
there're any changes that seem likely to have fixed this situation in
the newer Linux kernel makefiles.

Re: Linux kernel 2.6.26, make 4.1, menuconfig: no rule

Martin Dorey-2
> try to determine what causes the difference in
> behavior.

If the OP did that and identified a bug and found a fix, perhaps the fix that stops the problem from happening in later versions, I can't see a new version of make-3.8x or of the Linux 2.6.26 kernel series being released to address it.  The OP could then roll their own but it seems they already had a solution, indeed several.  So perhaps their point in posting here was just to help anyone else suffering the same problem in finding one of their ways round it.