Make for 64 bit Windows

Manu Singhal-2
hello make team,

I need make for my 64 bit Windows OS. Can you tell me where can i find the same?

Thanks,
Manu

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Manu Singhal <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:15:07 +0530
> Cc: doel sengupta <[hidden email]>
>
> I need make for my 64 bit Windows OS. Can you tell me where can i find the
> same?

The 32-bit build of GNU Make for Windows should work on 64-bit Windows
just fine.  (It does for me.)  You can find it here:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Extension/make/make-3.82-mingw32/make-3.82-5-mingw32-bin.tar.lzma/download

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

doel sengupta
Thanks Eli,

ll try with this one.

--doel

--
Doel Sengupta.

blog:- http://doelsengupta.blogspot.com/
mail: [hidden email]
Bangalore

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

Manu Singhal-2
Thanks Eli,

But, I am unable to open *.tar.lzma file in on my system.

Thanks,
Manu

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM, doel sengupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Eli,

ll try with this one.

--doel

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Manu Singhal <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:15:07 +0530
> Cc: doel sengupta <[hidden email]>
>
> I need make for my 64 bit Windows OS. Can you tell me where can i find the
> same?

The 32-bit build of GNU Make for Windows should work on 64-bit Windows
just fine.  (It does for me.)  You can find it here:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Extension/make/make-3.82-mingw32/make-3.82-5-mingw32-bin.tar.lzma/download

--
Doel Sengupta.

blog:- http://doelsengupta.blogspot.com/
mail: [hidden email]
Bangalore

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

David Rosen
Please take a look at ElectricAccelerator Developer Edition - http://www.electric-cloud.com/products/electricaccelerator-dev.php

It is a high-performance replacement for make and ships with a native 64-bit version.

Thanks David

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Manu Singhal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Eli,

But, I am unable to open *.tar.lzma file in on my system.

Thanks,
Manu

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM, doel sengupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Eli,

ll try with this one.

--doel

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Manu Singhal <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:15:07 +0530
> Cc: doel sengupta <[hidden email]>
>
> I need make for my 64 bit Windows OS. Can you tell me where can i find the
> same?

The 32-bit build of GNU Make for Windows should work on 64-bit Windows
just fine.  (It does for me.)  You can find it here:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Extension/make/make-3.82-mingw32/make-3.82-5-mingw32-bin.tar.lzma/download

--
Doel Sengupta.

blog:- http://doelsengupta.blogspot.com/
mail: [hidden email]
Bangalore

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

Manu Singhal-2
Thanks a lot David for your suggestion. I will definitely try this out in my development phase next.
Actually I need to install 'make' on my production server (Windows).

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM, David Rosen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please take a look at ElectricAccelerator Developer Edition - http://www.electric-cloud.com/products/electricaccelerator-dev.php

It is a high-performance replacement for make and ships with a native 64-bit version.

Thanks David

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Manu Singhal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Eli,

But, I am unable to open *.tar.lzma file in on my system.

Thanks,
Manu

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM, doel sengupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Eli,

ll try with this one.

--doel

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Manu Singhal <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:15:07 +0530
> Cc: doel sengupta <[hidden email]>
>
> I need make for my 64 bit Windows OS. Can you tell me where can i find the
> same?

The 32-bit build of GNU Make for Windows should work on 64-bit Windows
just fine.  (It does for me.)  You can find it here:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Extension/make/make-3.82-mingw32/make-3.82-5-mingw32-bin.tar.lzma/download

--
Doel Sengupta.

blog:- http://doelsengupta.blogspot.com/
mail: [hidden email]
Bangalore

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Manu Singhal <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 20:50:14 +0530
> Cc: doel sengupta <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>
> Thanks Eli,
>
> But, I am unable to open *.tar.lzma file in on my system.

This will help you:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/libarchive-3.0.3-w32-bin.zip/download

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

Eli Zaretskii
> From: David Rosen <[hidden email]>
> CC: doel sengupta <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:35:49 +0000
>
> Please take a look at ElectricAccelerator Developer Edition - http://www.electric-cloud.com/products/electricaccelerator-dev.php
>
> It is a high-performance replacement for make and ships with a native 64-bit version.

Please don't use GNU mailing lists for advertising proprietary
software.

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

OrangeDog
> The 32-bit build of GNU Make for Windows should work on 64-bit Windows just fine.

Except that you cannot fork any 64-bit processes from it.
For example, if you try to use a stdout redirect in a recipe:
%.out: %.in
    run-command $< > $@

$ make foo.out
run-command foo.in > foo.out
  0 [main] sh 7376 C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Programs\Git\usr\bin\sh.exe: *** fatal error in forked process - fork: can't reserve memory for parent stack 0x600000 - 0x800000, (child has 0x400000 - 0x600000), Win32 error 487
364 [main] sh 7376 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to sh.exe.stackdump
  1 [main] sh 9564 fork: child -1 - forked process 7376 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11

That's a 64-bit build of sh.

Re: Make for 64 bit Windows

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 09:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: OrangeDog <[hidden email]>
>
> > The 32-bit build of GNU Make for Windows should work on 64-bit Windows just
> fine.
>
> Except that you cannot fork any 64-bit processes from it.

Windows doesn't support fork at all, so I'm not sure what you mean by
that.  If you mean run 64-bit processes, then I'm not aware of any
problems doing that from a 32-bit Make.

> For example, if you try to use a stdout redirect in a recipe:
>

> That's a 64-bit build of sh.

Not sure what is it that you wanted to show here.