Missing INSTALL instructions for GNU make 4.3

Missing INSTALL instructions for GNU make 4.3

Gleb Satyukov
Hi team,

The latest version of GNU make (4.3) does not contain the INSTALL instructions as references in the README.

Thanks,
Gleb

Re: Missing INSTALL instructions for GNU make 4.3

Dennis Clarke
On 2020-04-29 16:58, Gleb Satyukov wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> The latest version of GNU make (4.3) does not contain the INSTALL instructions as references in the README.
>
> Thanks,
> Gleb

Doesn't everyone just "make install" ?

Sort of causes one to wonder about the chicken and egg scenario
of a machine which has no previous "make" anywhere.  That would be
interesting. Probably have to fall back on pure scripts.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC
GreyBeard and suspenders optional

Re: Missing INSTALL instructions for GNU make 4.3

Paul Smith-20
This missing INSTALL file has been reported before.  It's surely a
poser because I haven't touched that package building stuff in a while.
I thought automake just handled it.  Clearly something changed :)

On Wed, 2020-04-29 at 17:32 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> Sort of causes one to wonder about the chicken and egg scenario
> of a machine which has no previous "make" anywhere.  That would be
> interesting. Probably have to fall back on pure scripts.

GNU make ships with a "build.sh" shell script that can be run (after
configure) to compile make when you don't have a make program.

This is discussed in the README file.

There's a build_w32.bat as well, for Windows.