Re: Time for a new release...

Paul Smith-20
On Sun, 2020-12-20 at 18:09 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> I'm thinking of putting out a new release of GNU make early in the
> new year.

Hi all; just an update on this:

The company I work for was acquired, so I need to redo my disclaimer
with my new benevolent overlords.  I've done this many times and it's
always been fine, but getting the piece of paper on the right desk can
sometimes take a bit of time, especially during the bustle of an
acquisition.

Out of an abundance of caution I will be slow-rolling changes until
this is complete.  I see no reason to expect it will take very long.

Cheers!

Re: Time for a new release...

Paul Smith-20
On Sun, 2020-12-20 at 14:19 -0900, Britton Kerin wrote:
> A while back there was talk about making Make a bit smarter about
> understanding implicit dependencies make-sphere stuff:
>
> http://gnu-make.2324884.n4.nabble.com/Idea-Add-COMMANDCHANGE-and-CACHE-td19133.html
>
> I've come to like the idea and am curious if anything ever happened
> on this?

No, no one ever pushed that further as far as I know.  As a concept
it's not bad: similar to some things I've been thinking of although I
was thinking of using symlinks to avoid file reads... I'm not a fan of
using directories because some filesystems have limits on the number of
subdirectories.  I'm also not sure about using SHA for this; do we
really need the expense of a cryptographic hash here?  Don't we really
mostly care about uniqueness?  But these are just implementation
details.

The main thing is that once you create a concept of a "make durable
state" then there are a lot of things that you might like to have
there.  That proposal discusses the SHA of a command line, to detect
when compiler options change for example.

But, there have been other things people have wanted durable state for:
for example basing out-of-date detection on things like file content or
other attributes besides mod time.

And there are probably other things that will come up.

It seems like a not-great idea to have multiple ways of storing durable
state, so the question is can we come up with a method flexible enough
that we won't be banging our heads against it in a year.