[Somewhat OFFTOPIC]: Alternatives to Make

[Somewhat OFFTOPIC]: Alternatives to Make

Stefan Monnier

I'm using GNU Make here to keep some generated data files uptodate.

In general, the kind of facility offered by GNU Make fits this purpose
very well, but these files have all kinds of funny characters in their
names (spaces, semi-colons, colons, you name it) and here I bump into
lots and lots of problems with GNU Make
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35617602 made it possible to get
closer to the goal, but it's a nightmare to maintain, and I keep having
to add hacks on top of hacks, and with the large number of files
involved the resulting performance is simply not satisfactory).

Is there some alternative to GNU Make people could recommend where these
issues are less painful?

I've found lots of "replacements" that are really thought of as "build
systems" doing all kinds of fun dependency analysis of source code files
and providing great support to handle things like building shared
libraries and stuff, but I need nothing of the sort: I just need a tool
which will look at the existing files and run the shell scripts
I specified to build or update the relevant targets (as I said: from
that point of view Make is spot on).

        Stefan

[Somewhat OFFTOPIC]: Alternatives to Make

thutt
Stefan Monnier writes:

 > I'm using GNU Make here to keep some generated data files uptodate.
 >
 > In general, the kind of facility offered by GNU Make fits this
 > purpose very well, but these files have all kinds of funny
 > characters in their names (spaces, semi-colons, colons, you name
 > it) and here I bump into lots and lots of problems with GNU Make
 > (link removed, corp 'safety' filter horribly mangles it) made it
 > possible to get closer to the goal, but it's a nightmare to
 > maintain, and I keep having to add hacks on top of hacks, and with
 > the large number of files involved the resulting performance is
 > simply not satisfactory).
 >
 > Is there some alternative to GNU Make people could recommend where these
 > issues are less painful?
 >
 > I've found lots of "replacements" that are really thought of as "build
 > systems" doing all kinds of fun dependency analysis of source code files
 > and providing great support to handle things like building shared
 > libraries and stuff, but I need nothing of the sort: I just need a tool
 > which will look at the existing files and run the shell scripts
 > I specified to build or update the relevant targets (as I said: from
 > that point of view Make is spot on).

Years ago some developer's on the Google Chrome team thought that
their build process needed speeding up.  They removed all of Make's
useful features, they ended up with a dead simple tool (that needs
another tool to generate input files) that was faster for them.

It's syntax is similar to Make, so it might be an easy transition if
it doesn't mind the special characters of your inputs.

   https://ninja-build.org/manual.html

--
A containerized AI has launched a pingflood siege on my microservice.