how to simulate --max-load option on windows

how to simulate --max-load option on windows

Adrian Muresan
I'm using make 3.81 on windows doing parallel builds with this hack:

make all -j4 MAKE="make -j4"

It works but I need a way to limit CPU usage or number of simultaneous makes.

I have to use 3.81 because it's part of our SDK but I tried make 4.2.1 on Windows and --max-load still doesn't work

Re: how to simulate --max-load option on windows

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Adrian Muresan <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 18:32:14 +0000
>
> I'm using make 3.81 on windows doing parallel builds with this hack:
>
> make all -j4 MAKE="make -j4"
>
> It works but I need a way to limit CPU usage or number of simultaneous makes.
>
> I have to use 3.81 because it's part of our SDK but I tried make 4.2.1 on Windows and --max-load still doesn't
> work

Windows lacks the infrastructure needed to implement the loadavg
function, so this option doesn't work on Windows.

Make 4.2 does implement -jN option for Windows, so if you know how to
choose the right value of N (typically, the number of execution
cores), you should be fine.