when executing the command "make", there is a mistake?!

when executing the command "make", there is a mistake?!

zhi zunbao
i wanna build a linux according to the lfs 7.7.

afte i execute the code below:

chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i \
    HOME=/root                  \
    TERM="$TERM"                \
    PS1='\u:\w\$ '              \
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
    /tools/bin/bash --login +h

i enter the new linux, but when i  execute any "make" command (except ”make --help“), it shows "Segmentation fault"

why?!

what should i do?

Re: when executing the command "make", there is a mistake?!

Paul Smith-20
On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 06:26 +0000, zhi zunbao wrote:

> i wanna build a linux according to the lfs 7.7.
>

> afte i execute the code below:
>
> chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i \
>     HOME=/root                  \
>     TERM="$TERM"                \
>     PS1='\u:\w\$ '              \
>     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
>     /tools/bin/bash --login +h
>

> i enter the new linux, but when i  execute any "make" command (except
> ”make --help“), it shows "Segmentation fault"

We can't help you with this limited amount of information.  At the very
least you need to specify which version of GNU make you're using.  Even
with that we probably won't be able to help, but if you're not using the
latest version (4.2.1) you should try that first.

If that doesn't help you'll have to debug make in your environment to
see why it's failing, and/or ask someone on the LFS list to help you do
that.  Clearly this error is not being seen by others so it must be
related to the specific environment you have.

Re: when executing the command "make", there is a mistake?!

Tony Theodore

> On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 06:26 +0000, zhi zunbao wrote:
>> i wanna build a linux according to the lfs 7.7.
>>

>> afte i execute the code below:
>>
>> chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i \
>>     HOME=/root                  \
>>     TERM="$TERM"                \
>>     PS1='\u:\w\$ '              \
>>     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
>>     /tools/bin/bash --login +h
>>

>> i enter the new linux, but when i  execute any "make" command (except
>> ”make --help“), it shows "Segmentation fault"

I haven’t seen that exact error, but do see weird issues when either LANG
or LC_ALL isn’t set (depending on system). Make also uses env vars to
communicate with sub-makes so you need to be careful when using “env -i”.

Cheers,

Tony

Re: when executing the command "make", there is a mistake?!

thutt
Paul Smith writes:
 > On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 06:26 +0000, zhi zunbao wrote:
 > > i wanna build a linux according to the lfs 7.7.
 > >
 > >
 > > afte i execute the code below:
 > >
 > > chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i \
 > >     HOME=/root                  \
 > >     TERM="$TERM"                \
 > >     PS1='\u:\w\$ '              \
 > >     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
 > >     /tools/bin/bash --login +h
 > >
 > >
 > > i enter the new linux, but when i  execute any "make" command (except
 > > ”make --help“), it shows "Segmentation fault"
 >
 > We can't help you with this limited amount of information.  At the very
 > least you need to specify which version of GNU make you're using.  Even
 > with that we probably won't be able to help, but if you're not using the
 > latest version (4.2.1) you should try that first.
 >
 > If that doesn't help you'll have to debug make in your environment to
 > see why it's failing, and/or ask someone on the LFS list to help you do
 > that.  Clearly this error is not being seen by others so it must be
 > related to the specific environment you have.

 Agreed.

 If your chroot is not configured properly, a segv is the best of the
 bad results.  You could end up with a corrupted file system when
 using a misconfigured chroot.

 Have you narrowed it down to a segv with Make, or could it also be
 one of the programs that Make is executing?  How trivial is the
 Makefile you are trying to run?

 If it's Make, then from where did the Make come?  Is it part of the
 choort, or mounted from the host?  Are the shared libraries correct?

 What does strace tell you?